Prime Rib Roast
- 5 to 6 lb. bone-out prime rib roast
- Monterrey Seasoning
- 15 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 C mushrooms, minced
- Non-carb sauce thickener
- 1/2 C red wine
- beef bouillon
- About 3 hours before cooking, remove roast from refrigerator and set out to bring roast to room temperature.
- 1 hour before cooking, coat all sides of roast with Monterrey seasoning.
- Mix butter and minced garlic, and coat top (fat side) & sides with butter/garlic mixture
- preheat oven to 300 deg. Cook roast to internal temp of 120 degrees. (no less, and not more than 125 deg.)
- Let roast rest for around 20 minutes. Internal temp should rise another 5 degrees and then settle back to 120.
- Turn up oven to around 550 degrees. Scrape excess garlic and drippings into a fry pan for the gravy. Don't leave a lot of garlic on the roast at this point, because it will burn and get bitter in the hot oven. After roast has rested, put it in the hot oven for 8 minutes, no more. This will caramelize the crust.
- Sautee the minced mushrooms for a couple of minutes, until soft.
- Heat about 1C of bouillon, plus the garlic and drippings, plus 1/2 C of red wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce on a low boil by about 1/3. Add the sauteed mushrooms. If the sauce is too watery, and a very small amount of thickener (no more than 1/3 tsp at a time!) to desired consistency.