Simple Roast Chicken (originally from Oct. 2017 Bon Apetit)
- 3 - 4 pound whole chicken (air chilled if possible)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tblsp. olive oil
- carrots, cut long ways
- fennel wedges or leeks
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup sour cream
Method - Chicken
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with Kosher salt - about 3-4 tsp.
- Let sit one hour.
- Add garlic salt to skin.
- Place rack in upper third of oven and set cast iron skillet on the rack. Set oven to 425 deg.
- When oven reaches temp. take out chicken and pat dry one more time. Lightly coat with olive oil.
- Drizzle a bit more olive oil in skillet to keep anything from sticking.
- Lay vegetables on skillet bottom, so that they're mostly covered by the chicken.
- Roast around 45 minutes. Remove chicken from oven when internal temp in breast is 155.
- Rest chicken on cutting board for 20 minutes. This should bring internal temp to 165.
- Put veggies on serving platter and keep warm in oven - around 200 deg.
Method - Gravy
- Add 1/2 cup dry white wine to remaining sauce in pan.
- Cook over medium heat until wine has mostly evaporated.
- Add sour cream as needed until you have a nice gravy.
- Carve chicken and arrange around vegetables on serving platter
- Pour gravy over chicken, or put in separate dish.